Friday, May 14, 2010

First bike project!

Hello and thanks for reading, whoever you may be. I'd like to welcome you to this blog with a post about a project I'm working on.

Just for fun, I've decided to start fixing up bikes for my friends. So, I bought a mountain bike on craigslist for my roommate Brian. Here are some pictures of what it looked like when I got it:







I was still figuring out my camera, so I accidentally have a picture of the house across the street instead of a full view of the bike! Oh well. I don't know if you can really see from these shots, but the bike's tires were worn out, the back brake was rubbing on the rim, the chain was a mess, and the back tire was flat. So I got some new tires on it, replaced the tube in the rear tire, replaced the chain, and cleaned and lubed up all the parts of the drivetrain. I also replaced the cables and cable housing for the brakes and derailleurs. Here's a shot of how the bike looks right now:



Cleaned up nice, no? Well, there is still work to be done. Brian wanted to keep the gears on this bike instead of making it single speed, so I replaced the cable on the front derailleur, but now am not quite sure how to make it work... looks like I might need some time to figure it out. But it runs nicely in one gear, so that' something!

Oh and here's the trash that I threw away:


Thanks for stopping by, and I'll update you soon with another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment