Tuesday, April 5, 2011

New Bike!

Fuckin' sweet, don't you think?


So I just paid a down payment of a couple hundred bucks on a Surly Long Haul trucker just like this at Free Wheel Bikes, a local bike store in Minneapolis.  They didn't have my size in stock (no surprise there) but are ordering it and should have it soon.  Exciting times, no?  The bike's official site is here.  The bike is built for long-distance rides (like these that I am planning), but should also be fine to ride around town.  It's got a steel frame which is a little heavier than a lot of new bikes, but still a damn sight lighter than my current Schwinn Le Tour...

I bought the complete bike, but am planning on switching out a few parts.  I'm thinking of switching out the drop handlebars for mustache bars like these:

 A bar like that would be more upright and hopefully more comfortable to ride in for a long time.  It's also got lots of different potential hand positions, which is good so your hands don't get numb/tingly.  I'm also thinking of switching to a Brooks leather saddle like this one:


 At first glance, it doesn't look to comfy, but supposedly these seats are awesome.  You have to keep them dry, and they take a while to break in, but once they do they mold to your butt.

Other than that, I think I'm just gonna take it as it comes.  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment