Saturday, June 11, 2011

Another link round-up

I know it's been a while since I posted, and I should make up for that with a really cool, long post but I'm feeling lazy and lots of people have been emailing me interesting articles.  Here are the links:

  • This article is from a Minnesota blog about the harm caused by the Bush tax policy in Minnesota.  Kinda short, but still interesting
  • Here's a blog post over on Daily KOs about DEA hypocrisy - apparently they have been handing out licenses to pharmaceutical companies to grow marijuana while still placing a high priority on raiding semi-legal pot farms.  They are also trying to legalize some derived parts of marijuana so that Big Pharma can make a profit without competition from ordinary people.
  • My buddy Justin sent me a link to this article over on NPR about raising taxes on the rich.  The article mentions that many millionaires have petitioned to pay more in taxes, then questions whether doing so would be "class warfare".  To see what I think about this, check out this post.
  • This is not a link, but I fucking hate the term "class warfare".  Why is it that this term only gets busted out whenever fair taxes on the rich are proposed?  Here are a few examples of actual "class warfare":  Poor people and blacks deliberately targeted for subprime mortgage loans that they did not understand / could not afford.  Grossly underfunded schools in inner cities across the nation.  No access to health insurance for millions that can't afford it - and millions of people with health insurance having no access to care.  A volunteer military fighting wars for oil and other mysterious reasons made up of disproportionately poor and minority men.  I could go on, but there would be no room for anything else on this post.....
  • Actually, I will go on!!  A failed and disastrous "War on Drugs" that has cost billions and disproportionately imprisoned millions of young minority men.
  • And finally, something that Libertarians and I agree on - public funding for stadiums.  Here's a post on Forbes Blog (which I don't normally recommend, as I find it fucking stupid other than their post on the wealth of fictional characters, which is hilarious) about the city of Glendale, Arizona spending millions to keep their losing (games AND money) hockey team in town.  I love my sports teams but this is just straight up giving public money to sports team owners.
Okay, well that was actually pretty good for just a bunch of links right?  I am also currently uploading a bunch of photos from my recent week-long bike trip (more on that soon) to my new Flickr account, and should be able to post that in a couple minutes.

-Cy

No comments:

Post a Comment